Anni Hogan Biography
Anni Hogan is a Gold Record, multi-million selling Number 1 hit single songwriter, musician, producer and arranger; internationally known for being a key and original member of Marc and The Mambas with Marc Almond, and her work with Marc Almond (10 years recording and touring), Derek Forbes (Simple Minds, Big Country), Paul Weller (The Style Council), Wolfgang Flür (ex Kraftwerk) and Mercury nominee Barry Adamson. Anni is also known for her recording & writing collaborations with Nick Cave, Yello, and Lydia Lunch amongst many more.
Anni’s seminal solo EP Kickabye (1985) is also widely regarded as a cult classic with an illustrious line up of artists. This acclaimed EP was released on Cabaret Voltaire’s Doublevision label.
Anni is available for international bookings at Atrium Talent.
Early Beginnings, Soft Cell and Depeche Mode
Originally from Wirral, Merseyside, Anni Hogan studied piano before attending Leeds University in 1979 to study politics. Whilst in Leeds Anni met Soft Cell’s Marc Almond and Dave Ball at a local music venue; a meeting which was to become extremely productive for both the trio and the wider music industry over the coming years. It was during this period that Anni began to DJ and promote live acts, with early artists booked including seminal new electronic acts Soft Cell and Depeche Mode.
Anni subsequently met Simon Fisher Turner via Matt Johnson (from The The), and improvised a piano (and string synth) composition for his album ‘Deux Filles’; thus commencing her extensive and extremely productive working relationship with Marc Almond on his solo material (who had heard Anni’s performance on ‘Deux Filles’).
Marc and the Mambas Albums
Anni’s first live concert saw her perform in an early line-up of Marc and the Mambas with Marc Almond at the prestigious venue Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. The line-up consisted of Anni, Marc Almond, and Matt Johnson.
During early Marc and the Mambas days Anni also had a guest DJ residency at the Batcave Club in London, and also performed at this famous venue as part of Marc and the Mambas with Marc Almond. Marc and the Mambas released two universally critically acclaimed albums: ‘Untitled’, and ‘Torment and Toreros’, before disbanding in 1983.
After the Mambas disbanded Anni continued to work closely with Marc Almond as his musical director, co-writing and performing with Marc on his solo musical projects as part of Marc Almond and The Willing Sinners.
Anni subsequently also arranged many of the Jacques Brel songs on Marc Almond’s ‘Jacques’ album, and material for The Immaculate Consumptive, a supergroup consisting of 4 stars of the ‘No Wave’ scene: Marc Almond, Nick Cave, Lydia Lunch and Clint Ruin.
International Chart Success, Gold & Silver Discs with Marc Almond & Gene Pitney
It was during this period between 83-89 that Anni co-produced some of her best known international work with Marc Almond, notably his highest-selling solo album ‘The Stars We Are’. This Parlophone released album achieved Silver Disc status in the UK, and later included the UK Number 1 hit Gold Disc Marc Almond single, ‘Something’s Gotten Hold of My Heart’ featuring Gene Pitney. This single hit the Top Ten in 11 countries and was Number 1 for 4 weeks in the UK. An additional single from the album ‘Tears Run Rings’ was also a US Billboard Hot 100 Chart hit.
Barry Adamson, Zeke Manyika, Paul Weller and The Style Council
During the same period Anni also played keyboards for Mercury Nominee Barry Adamson, along with Zeke Manyika on their debut solo recordings. In 1988 she embarked upon a tour of Italy and the UK with Paul Weller and The Style Council, performing vibraphone (subsequently touring 3 times with Paul Weller in total).
Cactus Rain, William Orbit & Wolfgang Flür (ex Kraftwerk)
1989 saw Anni founding the ambient indie/dance band Cactus Rain. Signing to Virgin offshoot Ten Records, Cactus Rain released an album in addition to singles ‘Each Day’, ‘Till Comes The Morning’ and ‘Mystery Train’: the latter was remixed by esteemed Grammy and Ivor Novello Award winning producer William Orbit. Cactus Rain also supported Edwyn Collins and Carmel on tour, disbanding after one album. Anni then decided to spend the subsequent two decades writing, DJing, and touring Europe, most notably with Wolfgang Flür (ex Kraftwerk).
Cold Spring/Solo EP, Nick Cave, JG Thirlwell & Yello
In 2009 the Cold Spring label re-released Anni Hogan’s 1985 EP ‘Anni Hogan Plays Kickabye’. The EP was originally released on Cabaret Voltaire’s ‘Doublevision’ label, and included Marc Almond and Nick Cave recording guest vocals alongside Siouxsie and The Banshees drummer, Budgie, on drums and harmonica.
This EP was produced by Foetus aka JG Thirlwell, with the re-release including the unreleased follow up EP produced by Barry Adamson and early collaborations with Yello and Simon Fisher Turner. It also included four brand new solo piano recordings of Almond/Hogan songs. It was also during this time that Anni was the guest resident DJ at the widely acclaimed Cabaret Futura in London.
‘Mountain’ Soundtrack & The Kendal Mountain Festival
In 2012 the Cold Spring label released Anni’s dark ambient soundtrack album ‘Mountain’ (produced with Rob Strachan), with accompanying film also produced by Anni featuring climber Cathy O’Dowd’s original Everest expeditions footage. Cathy was the first woman in history to summit Everest from both sides. The resulting 30 minute art film ‘Mountain’ was directed by Bob Wass, and screened with live performance at several film festivals including the prestigious Kendal Mountain Festival.
AEAEA, Nepal & Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds/Shakespears Sister
2014 saw Anni collaborate with Mekon on a song on his album ‘Piece of Work’, and released an album as the collaborative all female project AEAEA, which included Illumani Jarboe (Swans) and the acclaimed cellist and Independent Music Award winner Zoe Keating. During this period Anni also opened the ‘Language is a Virus (From Outer Space)’ event at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London with a solo piano performance.
In 2015 – 2017 Anni created a series of dark ambient soundtrack albums for the bespoke Hong Kong label Ultra-Mail Prod., and during this time also co-founded Mitra Music for Nepal with Cathy O’Dowd in response to raise funds for the Nepal Earthquake. Anni produced a multi-track download album featuring tracks donated from artists including Ryuichi Sakamoto, The The, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds and Shakespears Sister.
Cherry Red & Scanni Releases (Hogan & Flür)
In 2016, Cherry Red released Anni’s electro-acoustic album collaboration ‘Scanni’, made with electronic sample artist Scanner, with guests including Wolfgang Flür (ex Kraftwerk) & former Swans singer Jarboe (both regular collaborators of Anni’s). Track ‘Golden Light’ (co-written by Anni and Wolfgang Flür) also features; and subsequently Anni’s original mix of ‘Golden Light’ features on Wolfgang Flür’s post Kraftwerk solo ‘Eloquence’ album, also released on the Cherry Red label.
Anni also contributed a piano piece for the Simon Fisher Turner Deux Filles album ‘Space & Time’ during this period, and featured as a commissioned contributing artist for BBC Radio Merseyside Roger Hill’s Popular Music Show ‘In Situ’. The success of this show led to Anni contributing an electro-acoustic orchestral composition to the ’40/40′ Show in 2017. Anni also contributed a track to Rusty Egan’s ‘Welcome to the Dancefloor’ album.
ZANTi (with Derek Forbes) & ‘Lost In Blue’
ZANTi is a band and multimedia project founded by Anni Hogan and Derek Forbes (Simple Minds, Propaganda, Big Country), with inaugural album ‘Broken Hearted City’ released on exclusive licence to Downwards Records (2018).
Anni also completed recording her solo album ‘Lost In Blue’, produced by Dave Ball (Soft Cell, The Grid) with production partner Riccardo Mulhall. It also features collaborations with Wolfgang Flür, Gavin Friday (The Virgin Prunes), John Fiddler (Medicine Head), Kid Congo Powers (Gun Club, Cramps, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) and Richard Strange (Doctors of Madness), in addition to New York’s ‘No Wave’ icon Lydia Lunch. This album is due to be released on all formats on the Cold Spring label Autumn 2018.
A preview track ‘Blue Contempt’ with Lydia Lunch is available to view on YouTube, with the accompanying video directed by artist and filmmaker Jasmine Hirst.
Anni continues to tour, produce, perform and record internationally and is available for bookings at Atrium Talent.
Anni Hogan: Other Notable Career Highlights/Recording Credits
- MD for Marc Almond: 10 years producing, writing, arranging & performing
- Soft Cell: Electric piano ‘Fun City’ (1981)
- Marc and the Mambas: Keyboards 1st release ‘Sleaze’ (1982)
- The Immaculate Consumptive: (Supergroup feat. Marc Almond, Nick Cave, Lydia Lunch and Foetus) Writing/arranging/recording b. tracks (1983)
- Foetus aka JG Thirlwell producer Kickabye co-wrote ‘Love Amongst The Ruined’ with Marc Almond & Anni for the ‘Some Bizarre’ compilation ‘If You Can’t Please Yourself’
- Appearing in Siouxsie & The Banshees Channel 4 Play ‘At Home’ as the Dormouse (version of Alice in Wonderland) with full supporting cast
- Nick Cave guested and co-wrote ‘Vixo’ with Anni on ‘Kickabye’ (1984)
- Yello: Co-write and guest piano on ‘Blue Nabou’ (b-side to ‘Vicious Games’) and on the remastered ‘Stella’ album (1984 / 2005)
- Zeke Manyika: Keyboards on album ‘Call and Response’ Polydor (1985)
- Barry Adamson: Strings & Vibraphone on album ‘Moss Side Story’ (1988) and ‘The Man With The Golden Arm’ 12” & 7”
- Marc Almond & Gene Pitney: Co-produced UK No.1 UK hit Gold disc ‘Something’s Gotten Hold of My Heart’ (1988)
- Marc Almond: Produced co-wrote and arranged (with Marc Almond & Billy McGee) hit Silver disc ‘Stars We Are’ album
- Cactus Rain: Recording artist at Virgin Records, including 2 tours supporting Carmel and Edwyn Collins (1990-1994). Album ‘In Our Own Time’ plus 3 singles released (including William Orbit mix). Artwork by artist Jamie Reid
- British Tennis: Commission (2000)
- Pidgin Productions: Composition – ‘Billy No Mates’ (2002)
- British Film Magazine: Guest journalist (2005-2006)
- Rachel McFarlane: Co-wrote & produced single (2007)
- ‘The Beat Goes On’: Contributing artist | World Museum Liverpool exhibit (2008)
- Cold Spring Records: Recording artist (2009-present)
- Dundee Mountain Film Festival: Live performance ‘Mountain’ with Cathy O’Dowd & Rob Strachan (2010)
- Attrition album ‘The Unraveller of Angels’: Composition & piano (2013)
- Co-wrote piano with Mekon on ‘When I Was Walt Whitman’ with Leslie Winer for ‘Piece of Work’ album on Warp (2013)
- Solo piano performance opening the ‘Language is a Virus (from Outer Space)’ show (Richard Strange curated William Burroughs centenary event) – Burroughs influenced artist Billy Chainsaw also curated film ‘Chainsaw-Hogan Installation Project’ (2014)
- ‘Anni & Itchy’: Collaboration with sound designer Itchy Ear on album ‘Siberia’ on label Ultra-Mail Prod. (2015)
- Co-wrote ‘Golden Light’ on Wolfgang Flür’s ‘Eloquence’ album (2015)
- ‘Millions of the Mouthless Dead’ album Anni Hogan & Martin Bowes on the Attrition label
- Co-wrote ‘Love Can Conquer All’ on Rusty Egan album ‘Welcome to the Dancefloor’ Black Mosaic label (2017)
- Co-wrote material for ‘Trails of Eyeliner: Anthology 1979-2016’ (Marc Almond) Universal label (2016)
- UK Chart No. 7 album ‘Hits & Pieces – The Best of Marc Almond & Soft Cell’ on Universal label (2017)
- ‘Music for Waterways’ forthcoming launch – a sonic installation inspired by a shared love of the British coast and waterways with Jan Pulsford (Cyndi Lauper)
- Contributed article on Marc and the Mambas iconic song ‘Black Heart’ for artist Jamie McLeod’s book ‘I Created Me: Portraits of Marc Almond’ celebrating 20 years of his avant-garde portraits of Marc
Anni Hogan: Notable Shows/Tours:
- DJ 80’s – Leeds Venues ‘Phonographique’, ‘Warehouse’, ‘Amnesia’ & Soft Cell tours.
- Guest DJ residency at the ‘Batcave’ club in London
- Hugh Masakela & Zeke Manyika guest support London Africa Centre (1985)
- GLC Closing party performance with Marc Almond at Finsbury Park
- No-Clause 28 Finsbury Park Concert: Solo Performance (1988)
- Performed Vibraphone for Paul Weller and The Style Council 3 tours of UK & Italy (1988)
- Toured with DJ Wolfgang Flür (ex Kraftwerk) various European and British events supporting his Musik Soldat shows 2008-2016
- Live performance at Tate Liverpool for ‘Long Night of the Biennial’ curated by HIVE DJ’s and visual artists (2008)
- DJ at Cabaret Futura, London 2009-2010
- Live performance ‘Mountain’ at the Kendal Mountain Festival (2010)
Anni is also a dedicated Vegan and is available for Vegan events, festivals and panels. To make a booking please contact us using the details above.
Anni Hogan contact – Tel: 0844 351 0254 email: [email protected]